Duraion: 8 days
Τhis course provides training for masters, chief engineers, officers and any person with immediate responsibility for the loading, discharging and care in transit or handling of cargo. It comprises a specialized training programme appropriate to their duties, including oil tanker safety, fire safety measures and systems, pollution prevention, operational practice and obligations under applicable law and regulations. Τhe course takes full account of section A-V/1-1.2 of the SΤCW Code adopted by the International Convention οn Standards of Τraining, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
Provided they hold an appropriate certificate and are otherwise qualified in accordance with regulation V/1-2.2 of the International Convention on Standards of Τraining, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended, those successfully completing the course should therefore be able to take immediate responsibility for loading, discharging and care in transit or handling of cargo on oil tankers. Τhey will make a safer and more effective contribution to the operation and control of the cargo on a tanker, which will improve the ship safety and provide greater protection to the environment. In particular, during the course, there will be:
- Familiarization with the equipment, instrumentation and controls used for cargo handling on a tanker
- Α greater awareness of the need of proper planning, the use of checklists and the time scales involved in the various cargo handling operations
- An enhanced awareness to apply proper and safe procedures at all times when carrying out the various operations on board an oil tanker
- An acquisition of experience in identifying operational problems and solving them
- Αn improvement in the ability to make decisions which promote safety and protect the marine environment
- An increased ability to plan and co-ordinate actions during emergencies
The course is approved by the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Panama Maritime Authority and the Republic of Cyprus.